Hand Processing 2011, part 2 (drying)

In 2000 and 2001, Jen and I spent some memorable time in Mount Forest, Ontario at Phil Hoffman's farm, learning how to hand process 16mm film. It was a formative (and transformative) experience, worthy of its own couple of posts. Thankfully, the process was somewhat simplified at the Farm. We used hi-con film (pre-Estar base), which is orthographic, and processed it by sloshing it around in buckets of Dektol. It was a great way to get acquainted to the process, but the film stock that was central to that process is much harder to get a hold of these days. Keep in mind, we were not just shooting this film for us, we were trying to design a realistic undergraduate workflow for a new class in the Fall. I think we found one.